Welcome to my review of this sterling little machine where I give my opinion on its performance. I must admit that I have found little to persuade me that this is nothing other than a great machine, and it continues to attract rave reviews.
Like most things, it does depend on what you want the machine to do, but with the exception of being very experienced in machine embroidery, this machine looks to be suitable for the beginner and the intermediate machine embroiderer alike. For those in the know, it’s exactly the same as the Brother SE350, but with the addition of the USB port. More of that later.
Why are people raving about the Brother SE400?
- It has a USB port so that you can download designs from the Internet (many are free) and get updates through your computer. Software installation isn’t necessary.
- It also works with Macintosh (even though the manual says the SE400 is only compatible with PCs). Just drag and drop the embroidery files from your Mac to the SE400. Connect it using the USB cable that comes with the machine. The SE400 will show up as an external hard drive, named “Unknown.” Just drag and drop the embroidery files to this drive. The rest of the instructions should be the same as the PC.
- It’s smaller and lighter than other embroidery machines – so it’s more portable.
- It has a start / stop button allowing you to sew without the foot petal – this makes it more comfortable and easier to control the speed.
- An automatic needle threading system – great news if your eyes are getting weary.
- Built-in push-button thread cutter – this is useful for the different colored threads you’ll use.
- The machine is very quiet
- It has a super-bright, back-lit LCD touch screen making it easy to select and edit embroidery patterns – no more fiddling with stitch length/ width dials
- 25 year limited Warranty
These are the main features people like although there are more knobs and buttons to play with.
Is there anything that can be improved?
Well, yes. From my research the main items to go on a wish-list would include the following:
- The embroider-able area is limited to 4″ X 4″. Of course if it had a larger area, the price would be much higher…
- A wish for more instructions on “what to do in case of”! That’s an easy one to fix, Brother if you’re listening!
- Instructional guide uses pictures only – a fuller written description would be helpful also. Yes, we know what you mean. The pictures are great when you know what they mean, but can be head-scratchingly confusing until you reach that point!
Having said all of this, it is a machine that combines creativity, art, and technology to give beginners and intermediate sewers an excellent sewing package.
(links on this page are sponsored affiliate links, the owner is not a bona fide user of this product & gets paid commission for referrals)